With the release of Bosun, I spent some time making the installation process pleasant. This included embedding static web assets directly into the go binary. I have done this before with appstats and miniprofiler, but wanted to see the current state of public offerings, and see if any fit my needs. I found three existing programs, but ended up writing my own.
I wanted a program that:
Vendoring-friendly means that when I run godep or
party, the static embed file will not
change. This means it must not have any third-party imports (since their
import path will be rewritten during
goimports, and thus different than
what the tool itself produces), or a specifable location for the needed
third-party imports. Ideally, the output is completely self-contained and
needs no third-party libraries, meaning it includes its own implementation
of the http.FileSystem interface.
statik is a relative newcomer to this space. It is written by a current Googler
and based on some techniques in camlistore. It
statik.go file in its own package with a giant .zip file embedded
as a string. A separate library provides this static file with the ability
to serve web content via a http.FileSystem interface. statik well met
requirement 1. But the others were not. I had to provide my own local mode,
the output file changed over time even when assets didn’t, diffs were huge
on small changes since all files were bundled into one string, and it was
I submitted a few patches, as the output of statik is not
suggesting that this project is not highly used by its author.
go-bindata has an impressive feature list, and met most of my requirements (good diffs, local dev mode, kind of vendoring-friendly). However its http.FileSystem interface is done by a different developer, and requires specifying many things that were already specified in the bindata invocation, leading to easy errors and annoying configuration. I wanted something that would produced a fully self-contained http.FileSystem interface.
go.rice takes a different approach. The source code registers directories it needs access to. A static-analysis tool embeds content in those directories at a later time. However, since it is a static-analysis tool, only string constants are supported in the directory list. This is not the style of tool I prefer to use, although it does have compelling benefits, like being able to specify needed directories in code instead of in scripts (like all other programs here).
esc is the tool I have thus built to meet exactly these goals, and I believe it does so. It generates nice, gzipped strings, one per file. There is a simple flag to enable local development mode, which is smart enough to not strip directory prefixes off of filenames (an option in esc that is sometimes needed). The output includes all needed code, and does not depend on any third-party libraries for compatibility with http.FileSystem.
However, it does not offer advanced embedding options as many other tools do. It is currently not easily accessible via non-http.FileSystem users. It has no concept of a directory listing. And it is new and thus not widely tested. But it otherwise seems to work great for easily embedding and testing static assets.